Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sew Here We Go

(Get used to the sewing puns...they're gonna come fast and furious.)

Welcome to my sewing blog. I plan to document the process of my sewing projects here, and hope that someone out there finds it interesting and or helpful. I've been sewing for a very short time, but I am learning lots and loving the process. I started off very simply only a couple of months ago, sewing some skirts with the help of this book, which my lovely husband gave me for my birthday:

Lots of people have praised this book and justly so. It's clearly written and easily understandable. I am usually hopeless with written direction (well, directions in general, but that's a post for my personal blog) but the writing style in this book seemed custom made for me. The pictures and diagrams are also easy understand, especially for a sewing novice. Having no prior sewing skills I was able to turn out several skirts in different styles, including an A-line, a half-circle and a full-circle.

The projects in the book weren't really my style (I'm not really into palm trees or cowboy prints) but they were easily adaptable to more suit my taste. Most importantly, making the skirts allowed me to learn how to do several techniques that have applied to other projects.

In the past, I have attempted to teach my self to sew only to fail miserably. I think my problem was that I was too busy worrying about the end product that I didn't slow down to learn how to do certain techniques properly. I wanted the forest, but couldn't be bothered with the trees. This time I've been trying to take my time with understanding the directions before starting and paying attention to all the little details like staystitching and edgestitching and finishing seams, and I can really tell it's making a big difference (ie: I actually end up with a garment I can wear, and not just a really fancy rag for the dishes).

No comments: